Posts

Showing posts from August, 2012

Enumerating Groups of users and properties with Powershell ADSI

So the other day it was brought up to give a user access to see what users are in a specific set of groups in a specific OU.
I did not want to install the admin tools just so they could use the ActiveDirectory modules, so i had to write this script using only ADSI.

using ADSI only requires the end user to have read access to the objects.

Here ya go have fun.



# Group enumerator script by Jeramy Thompson
# Downloaded from http://jeramythompson.blogspot.com/
# Change $ouPath to the path of groups you want to enumerate
# To popluate different user properties
# change $userCN.mail to $userCN.(property) for example
# if you wanted the samaccount name change it to
# $userCN.sAMAccountName
#
#
#
$ouPath = "OU=OUNAME,DC=netbiosdomain,DC=domain,DC=com"




[void][System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("System.Windows.Forms")
[void][System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("System.Drawing")
$Form1 = New-Object System.Windows.Forms.Form
$Form1.ClientSiz…

Upgrading to 2012....Wait a minute.

So I was all gung-ho about getting my servers upgraded to 2012. I had done all my testing on the RC's , had my documentation all setup and ready to go then ran into these issues:

Windows 2012 VM Freezes or reboots host 2008 R2 SP1- I actually read about this prior to installing it on my clusters. I was able to use the same hardware as a cluster node to verify that my shop is indeed having the issue.
The best thing to do would be to upgrade the nodes to 2012 hyper-v 3.0. but again there are roadblocks in the way of that too!
To backup the servers with DPM 2012 you need SystemCenter 2012 SP1, as of right its still CTP2 so it is not going on my production servers.
To manage the cluster nodes with VMM 2012, it needs, you guessed it, System Center 2012 SP1.

so as of right now I'm in a holding pattern for my production servers until SP1 is released.

Update for HP customers:

DPM2012 Crash on recovery tab...

Image
So this was just a flat out weird issue that i was not able to lock down the cause of the issue but did find a fix.

After reading countless articles on TechNet, asking questions  , and even creating a support ticket with Microsoft (I didnt even get to utilize them), I found the fix.
Im Assuming that KB2706783 caused the issue.
While waiting for microsoft to start the incident process, I was getting ready to send some tapes offsite, and noticed not only did the console crash but reports were not able to be generated any more either.

on the server navigate here
http://localhost/Reports_MSDPM2012/Pages/Folder.aspx
click the DPMReports_*
click DPMReporterDataSource







Now here is where the issue was,the credintails were set to "DPMR$COMPUTERNAME"
i have no idea where this came from or the password, i changed this part to "Windows Integrated Security"
Now Reports work again, and so does the console.



-Update-
This is not a complete fix, just a step to get everything back to…

DPM 2012 4.0.1915.0 agent in wrong directory

Image
Though id make a quick post about the latest DPM blunder and easy fix.

Once you upgrade to update roll up 2 KB2706783 , you will need to upgrade all the agents on your servers.
The on domain servers you can click on the console and upgrade them quickly, however for your off domain (untrusted) servers you have to manually install the update.
Now reading this would tell you that the folder is located in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\ProtectionAgents\RA\ folder.
well that's not true. I guess the programmers at Microsoft fell asleep at the wheel and put it in the
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\agents\RA" folder.
not sure why its there but it is, just copy that folder to your servers and run the installer, it will update and you will be good to go.

Windows 8 RTM hits TechNet and MSDN

With the RTM in early August, MS has released Windows 8 in its various flavors to TechNet and MSDN.
Current Releases
Windows 8 (x86) - DVD (English)
Windows 8 (x86) - DVD (English-United Kingdom)
Windows 8 (x64) - DVD (English)
Windows 8 (x86) - DVD (English-United Kingdom)
Windows 8 Enterprise (x86) - DVD (English)
Windows 8 Enterprise (x86) - DVD (English-United Kingdom)
Windows 8 Enterprise (x64) - DVD (English)
Windows 8 Enterprise (x64) - DVD (English-United Kingdom)
Windows 8 Enterprise N (x64) - DVD (English)
Windows 8 Enterprise N (x64) - DVD (English-United Kingdom)
Windows 8 Enterprise N (x86) - DVD (English)
Windows 8 Enterprise N (x86) - DVD (English-United Kingdom)
Windows 8 N (x86) - DVD (English)
Windows 8 N (x86) - DVD (English-United Kingdom)
Windows 8 N (x64) - DVD (English)
Windows 8 N (x64) - DVD (English-United Kingdom)
Windows 8 Pro VL (x86) - DVD (English)
Windows 8 Pro VL (x86) - DVD (English-United Kingdom)
Windows 8 Pro VL (x64) - DVD (English)
Windows 8 Pro VL (x6…

KB2647753 - repeat install (Updated manual Fix)

I noticed that after installing windows updates for 8/14 KB2647753, installed successfully, then requested that it be installed again.

It does show up when you run in systeminfo.



Waiting on a response from Microsoft on this issue here
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/6e8d5ffd-045f-4184-98a0-b79109361ded

created this quick powershell script to show the version number to verify against the website.



Get-Item $env:windir\system32\localspl.dll | foreach-object {$L = $_.VersionInfo.FileVersion}
Get-Item $env:windir\system32\win32spl.dll | foreach-object {$W =  $_.VersionInfo.FileVersion}
Get-Item $env:windir\system32\spoolsv.exe | foreach-object {$S = $_.VersionInfo.FileVersion}


$L = $L.substring(0, $L.IndexOf("",15))
$W = $W.substring(0, $W.IndexOf("",15))
$S = $S.substring(0, $S.IndexOf("",15))



Write-host "localspl.dll -FileVersion- $L
win32spl.dll -FileVersion- $W
spoolsv.exe -FileVersion- $S" Until Microsoft come…